kale salad

This is a recipe that a friend gave me that I've modified slightly. It is excellent! In fact, my onions are cooking right now for a big batch. Notice my serving instructions for a quick easy way without having to put the soup bowls under the broiler. Enjoy!

12 medium onions (I'm using Vidalia which are huge so am only using 5.)
1/4 Butter
16 cups beef boullion or broth (I buy the kind that comes in the box with a pour spout on top.)
1+ Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp Tabasco Sauce
2+ Tbs. Kitchen Bouquet (More seems to be better.)
1-1/2 cups dry, white wine (I've also made this with a dry red wine and that's good too. I just didn't use as much.)
Salt & Pepper to taste.
1 loaf French bread, cubed into 1" cubes
Sliced Swiss Cheese

Slice onions very thin and saute`in the butter in a large pot for 1 hour or until golden. Add remaining ingredients; bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer 2 to 4 hours. Onions should be very tender.

When nearly done, put the French bread cubes on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for a few minutes.

Serving Camper Style: Put some bread cubes in the bottom of the soup bowl and top with 1 slice Swiss cheese. Ladle hot soup over all. No need to put under the broiler to melt the cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment