Getting Simplified

It's been a wild, crazy week.  Big pieces of furniture are leaving the house as we sell them; slowly our house is emptying out.  Lots of big tool items have left but the Shopsmith hasn't even been listed yet.  That happens today, hopefully.  Have listed my digital piano on a few different sites and got my first inquiry yesterday.

There are a couple of things that we have no idea how to price.

We have an antique, graceful, wooden-arm chair with upholstered seat that belonged to Mike's great grandparents.  His grandmother gave it to us many, many years ago after we found it out in the barn on the farm in New England.  We had it refinished and the seat reupholstered.  We used it in our bedroom for years.  Now the joints have all loosened up - although nothing is broken on it.  I can't find anything like it on the net so guess I'll have to take pictures and visit some local dealers here to get some ideas of value.

Our dining room set is over 60 years old.  Early American; solid maple.  The table is a refectory table (the leaves slide out from the ends of the table, lift up, and lock in place).  When the leaves are in place, the table sits 10.  The set includes a buffet, an open hutch, and 8 chairs (one is an arm chair).  Catch is it needs to be refinished.  Again we're at a loss as to what to ask for it.  Guess I'll be taking pictures of it with me to the dealers for suggestions.

Doing lots of sorting - some stuff will be sold, some given away, and some sold.  I'm just getting started on downsizing my massive sewing supply stash. I've been dreading that. But...  I have decided to sell my Babylock Ellageo 3 sewing/embroidery machine and all it's accessories and supplies.  It all just takes up too much room.  I've read others' blogs and seen where women have taken all this stuff with them as full-time RVers but to me it's just not that 'simple'.

I took the machine to the dealer yesterday in Springfield, MO for its annual maintainence (over an hour's drive).  While I was at the shop, I looked at non-embroidery machines that had quilting capabilities and some decorative stitches.  Found a couple I really liked.  The feeling that came over me was amazing! I feel like a great burden has been lifted from my shoulders after making the decision to get rid of that big machine and get back to basics!  I'm actually excited about it!  I still want to do some quilting and make some of my/our clothing but I just don't feel a need anymore to make wedding gowns and do embroidery. It's liberating!

I have a small, basic machine that's nearly 25 years old and has developed a few quirks. However, it still sews a good stitch so it and my serger will be kept and used. After we're in the 5th wheel and the dust has settled; I'll decide whether or not to get a new machine and get rid of the old quirky one. My treadle machine is going into storage. It was my mother's and I learned to sew on it. If we ever settle down into a stick house again, I want that available to me.

Mike's hardest thing to give up is his Shopsmith. He loves that machine! But we need the money it will bring in and there's no way to carry it around with us. He's going to keep some smaller tools and wants to get a mini-lathe so he can still keep his hand in woodturning. As I said in the previous post, there's lots of up and down emotions going on.

One downside to selling our stuff - people have been coming in here when they're sick and germy to pick things up they've bought. The wife of the couple that picked up our 2 couches was really sick when she was here on Friday. I came down with the same thing Sunday morning and Mike came down with it yesterday. It hits you like a Mack truck and makes every fiber in your body hurt - then makes you nauseous! Fortunately, it doesn't last more than 24 hours - I was fine yesterday to go to Springfield, MO with my machine. Hoping Mike will be ok today when he gets up. He's sleeping in; sorely needed.

Til next time,

Gloria - The Internet GADabout

0 comments:

Post a Comment