Turkey Soup

These are basic instructions for how I make my turkey soup when we need a 'comfort food'. Really hits the spot on a cold day - especially when you're not in the mood for something 'spicy'. I usually have the carcase from a 20 lb bird. These instructions and ingredients are based on that size. I use an 8 qt. pot with lid.

Simmer turkey carcase slowly over several hours with onion, beef boullion (I use about 6 cubes), salt, pepper, and enough water to cover. You may have to break the carcase up to get it all to fit in your big pot and still be covered with water. (I use an 8 qt. pot because I usually have a carcase from a 20 lb bird.)

Strain broth.

Add:
1 chopped onion
3 or 4 sliced carrots
1 to 2 cups of brown rice
Salt & pepper.

Simmer for a couple more hours.

Add meat picked off turkey carcase (add extra turkey if there's not much meat on the carcass).

Add enough half & half to make the soup look creamy.

Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer a few more minutes and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment